Monday, July 11, 2011

Thumpity Thump Thump

For a while I thought perhaps you only moved on screen because I hear that dang sonogram thing is loud.  Everyone kept asking me if I had felt you.  When I would respond no, they would tell me what it was supposed to feel like, as if I hadn't read it a billion times anxiously awaiting it.  I knew what it was supposed to feel like, and I simply felt nothing. 

I know my body well.  I take care of it, and I know it's sounds and gurgles and movement.  So last night (really 4:35 a.m.) when I felt like something had tapped my stomach from the inside I paused.  I moved the computer so it wasn't in the way, and I waited.  And then you did it again. 

It was delightful.  You had apparently chosen to skip the simple butterfly/little fishy type movements.  I was getting poked at, repeatedly.  When you quieted down later, I gently pressed in where you had been, massaging what had earlier been an excruciatingly painful abdomen muscle.  And as soon as I quit you began poking at me again, readjusting, settling in for the night.  I told your Daddy that you were either a very early bird or more of a night owl like your mama.  He's decided that you're probably a night owl... particularly because we do like our afternoon coffee, don't we?

Tonight you've poked and prodded a bit, and now I'm getting the gentle flipping/swimming movements I wasn't before.  It's nice to know you're in there.  It's weird to know I can feel when you're up and moving.  Just another 4 1/2 months Escargot, and you'll be here. 

2 comments:

  1. i am so happy you finally got to feel the baby!! its the best thing in the world, i really miss those little kicks just to let you know that they are still there. video take it, i did with sean and still look at it here and there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me tear up. Those first feelings, be they flutters or kicks (I never felt much in the way of flutters either) are so sweet, so amazing. What a beautiful moment!

    ReplyDelete