Monday, August 29, 2011

Prep School

I'm so excited for G to be home soon.  September is going to be a whirlwind though, as we continue prepping for this little girl.  Between readying the house, taking classes, hopefully doing the hypnobabies, and gathering up items we'll need... it's going to be exhausting!

I ordered a deluxe boppy a couple weeks ago on a super discount sale, getting it for $26 instead of the $50 it normally would have cost me.  Then this weekend I saw someone on freecycle was offering a barely used deluxe my brest friend pillow.  I had been wanting to try one of those too (they are the most recommended by lactation consultants), but at $50 I couldn't justify it just as a way to see which worked best for me.  But I picked it up tonight and it looks like she might have tried it and decided it wasn't for her, because it's in perfect condition!  So excited!

G is totally in support of breastfeeding.  It's the best nutrition-wise, and though I expect that it might be rough and a little painful to start, it's something I really want to do.  It doesn't hurt that it will save us a ton of money on formula and later milk.  I'm hoping to at least pump for her until she's 2. 

We will be attempting after a couple months to get her to take a bottle of breastmilk as well.  That way mama can have nights out with daddy staying in for some daddy-daughter time.  It will also make date nights a bit easier later on.  We've got a ton of 4 oz. bottles and plan to pick up some 8 oz. ones later (we're going with the old fashioned evenflo glass ones after seeing how easy they are to hook up to the pumps). 

The best thing I can think to do for breastfeeding is to make friends with moms who can help me keep my sanity if I'm wanting to quit.  I'll be heading to La Leche League meetings before she's here, taking classes, and I've already made friends with other moms who have breastfed before (or are right now).  Between that and G willing to do whatever I need to get through the first 6 weeks (that I've heard are the hardest), hopefully we'll be a-okay. 

1 comment:

  1. Kate- You can totally rock breastfeeding. I just stopped with Emma and I plan on going long with my new little one. It is an amazing bonding experience with you and your little peanut. The first couple of weeks are rough, but once you and the little princess get it down, it will become second nature. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete